Surfers Paradise, a suburb in Queensland, is one of Australia’s most beautiful, alluring tourist destinations. Year after year, it receives not just thousands but millions of local and international visitors. Boasting almost perfect weather all year round, Surfers Paradise offers the perfect blend of beach and city lifestyles set amidst incredible stretch of the coast and spectacular skyline. Tourists who we welcomed here at Gold Coast Holiday Rentals agree that going here is like spending days in paradise.
Surfers Paradise offers more than just great beaches and wide range of Gold Coast accommodation – it offers everything that tourists are looking for to have unforgettable holiday. Committed to providing non-stop action, Surfers Paradise is home to some of Queensland amazing festivals, world-class theme parks, historical places, UNESCO heritage sites, and several unique family attractions. It also a dining and shopping mecca as it is home to some of Queensland biggest shopping malls and dining districts where you can sample international and local cuisines. Expect never-ending shopping experience from top-end designers to beachfront markets. Surfers Paradise becomes even livelier when nightfall comes. Every corner of this suburb is filled with modern and stylish bars pumping with live music and dance beats. Whatever it is that you’re looking for to have a comfortable, enjoyable, and one-of-a-kind adventure, you can be assured that Surfers Paradise has something just perfect for you.
Surfers Paradise History
The iconic long stretch of golden beach fronting Surfers Paradise has attracted people from all over the world for more than 100 years. Its history started when Jim Cavill, a hotelier from Brisbane, acquired 10 hectares of land in Surfers Paradise in 1920. Back then, the area was called Elston. By 1925, Elston started to get more visitors after Jubilee Bridge and the extension of the South Coast road were opened to the public. As Elston became more accessible, investors began purchasing land around the area and Burleigh Heads. A few years after, investors started putting up establishments including hotels. That year, Jim Cavill built the town’s first landmark – Surfers Paradise Hotel. The coast hideaway quickly became popular that in no time, shops and other establishments were built around it. In 1933, with Cavill’s drive to promote the town heavily, he pushed to change the name Elston to Surfers Paradise.
Over the decades, Surfers Paradise became more and more popular due to efforts exerted by evolving ranks of community leaders, business identities, and colourful personalities. Slowly, their vision in making Surfers Paradise as Australia’s prime tourist destination was soon realized.
Surfers Paradise Facts
If you’re thinking about spending holiday in Surfers Paradise, you might want to know some facts that can help you appreciate the place a bit more.
- Surfers Paradise, which is 80 kilometres south of Brisbane and 15 kilometres away from Currumbin, is the heart of sunny Gold Coast and Australia’s most popular tourist destination for both locals and international visitors.
- As of 2013, it is home to more than 20,000 permanent residents. 50% were born in Australia while the rest were born in China, Japan, India, England, and New Zealand.
- Official language is English although other residents speak Japanese, Punjabi, Mandarin, Arabic, and Italian.
- Everyday, it receives about 20,000 overnight visitors. This number grows to 30,000 during weekends and it reaches 50,000 during major events.
- There are about 3,700 businesses that operate within Surfers Paradise.
- Surfers Paradise’ weather is almost perfect as it enjoys more than 300 days of sunny days each year. Average temperature is 25 degrees but we experience occasional afternoon rain and storms particularly during hot summer months.
Surfers Paradise Main Attractions
Of course, the main reason why Surfers Paradise is extremely popular to tourists is because of its distinct attraction. Some of them are the following:
- Surfers Paradise beach. The main reason why Surfers Paradise is extremely popular to tourists is because of its three-kilometre strip of golden sand. Hailed as one of Australia’s most pristine beaches, it is a post-card perfect attraction that attracts surfers, swimmers, and joggers around the world. Here, you can find both locals and tourist participating in different activities including beach volleyball, surfing, sand castle building, swimming, etc. Every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday night, it features Beachfront markets that you can definitely look forward to. Here, you can find great treasures, amazing bargains, and rare finds from more than 100 market stalls selling different merchandises and goodies.
- Planet Chill – An all weather attraction, Planet chill is the country’s only resort based permanent Ice Skating Rink that is popular to visiting families and excursionists. Located close to Surfers Paradise beach, this 4-star facility offers magical family holiday experience. It features giant waterpark, lagoon pool, Zone 4 Kids club, spa, café and bar, bistro, and different daily entertainment programs.
- Jet Boat Extreme – If you’re adventurous, go ahead and try Gold Coast’s largest and most powerful Jet Boating adventure ride offered in Surfers Paradise. This is a great way to see some of Surfers Paradise most spectacular sceneries while you get to experience the excitement and thrill aboard the coast’s most powerful purpose-built jet boat.
*** Surfers Paradise offers more attractions that travelling couples, friends, and family will surely enjoy. Don’t forget that other Gold Coast attractions including world-class theme parks and the Gold Coast Hinterland, are just close by. You can also experience them while staying on Surfers Paradise.
Surfers Paradise Accommodation
Being one of Australia’s most popular tourist destinations, the Surfers Paradise accommodation options are very diverse offering different amenities, rates, and facilities. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious penthouse, spacious serviced apartment, typical hotel rooms, or cheap backpackers inn, you can be assured that you’ll find something here that will compliment your budget and your preference. However, if you’re travelling on a budget but wouldn’t want to sacrifice comfort and luxury, I personally recommend booking Surfers Paradise accommodation in serviced apartments such as the ones offered here at GCHR. These are from some of Surfers Paradise most luxurious hotels and resorts but they are independently managed. Because of this, we get to offer you low prices but still allow you to have access to all amazing amenities and facilities. Call us today on (07) 5539 8553 or book online.
Restaurants and Dining
A large majority of interstate visitors choose Surfers Paradise because of its wide variety of restaurants and eateries. Here, you can find countless of fine dining restaurants with some offering al-fresco dining setting. There are also restaurants serving authentic Australian, Asian, American, European, and other world-class cuisines. Surfers Paradise culinary diversity makes it a dining attraction for foodies, families, and tourists from across the globe. Whether you’re looking for steak, noodles, pizza and pasta, sushi and Japanese ramen, Indian or Mexican food, you can be assured that Surfers Paradise can offer you exactly what you’re craving for.
Health & Beauty
Surfers Paradise isn’t just all about sun, surf, and sand – it is also about total relaxation. Committed to address the growing need of tourists and locals, Surfers Paradise is now the home to some of the best health and beauty boutiques, salons, and day spas in the region. If you’re feeling tired after your surfing lessons, I would recommend the Day Spa at the resort Apartment 4204 is co-located within. This Day Spa offers ancient therapies infused with Dreamtime remedies. SpaQ at QT Hotel is also award-winning. Indulge in looking great and feeling well by taking advantage of their designer services. As for your health, most established resorts and hotels in Surfers Paradise such as Chevron Renaissances and Apartment 4204’s resort have fully equipped gymnasium and tropical gardens where you can do some meditation.
Entertainment & Nightlife
If you’re looking for some fun, you’ll be happy to know that Surfers Paradise is even more vibrant when the night falls. In fact, the place is now known as Australia’s nightlife capital. Whatever type of fun you’re looking for, there is surely a stylish pub, lounge bars, and clubs, that will meet or even exceed your expectation. Surfer Paradise after-dark entertainment districts features a mix of DJs, solo acts, live bands, and even guest appearance of international artists. Some of the club and pubs you should try include Cocktails Night Club, Club Liv, Sin City, and Vanity. Find our more from our Surfers Paradise Nightclub Guide
Shopping and Fashion
Surfers Paradise is home to some of Gold Coast biggest and most stylish shopping malls and shopping districts where you can find high-end shops offering branded apparels, amazing art works, kid’s fashion, and even jewellery. Some of the shopping districts that you cannot afford to miss are found at Chevron Renaissance, Centro Surfers Paradise, and the High Street Surfers Paradise.
Book your Surfers Paradise accommodation at Gold Coast Holiday Rentals
Now that you know what makes the Surfers Paradise a popular tourist destination, I am sure that you’re now seriously considering going here. Well, if you are, make sure to make Gold Coast Holiday Rentals your Surfers Paradise accommodation partner. We offer luxurious but affordable serviced apartments at some of Surfers Paradise iconic hotels and resorts including Chevron Renaissance, Moroccan Resort and Circle on Cavill. All the properties that we manage offer ocean views and are very spacious, stylish, and well-maintained. For more information about our impressive apartments, please head to our main page where you can find actual photos and even videos. For booking, call us at 07 5539 8553 and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.